What is Cold Brew?
Cold Brew is a method of extracting the properties and flavors of the coffee bean without the use of hot water. Whereas, iced coffee, is typically hot coffee that is poured over ice or hot coffee that is then chilled to be served over ice. The difference is obvious in the flavors of the two extractions. Reason being- there are certain properties lost within the cup when changing the temperature of the coffee at such a rapid speed. Also, hot coffee is extracted anywhere between 30 seconds and 5 minutes; cold brew is extracted over a course of hours. Due to the time the bean is in contact with water, the water has a longer amount of time to absorb the flavors and transfer the properties.
We are fans of Cold Brew based drinks!
& from what we have gathered, our customers are also fans of Cold Brew based drinks, which is why we decided to share the recipe of the Cold Brew Concentrate we use for our Lattes and our Bohío Style.
You Will Need:
- Bohío Ritual bag (Medium Roast)
- Food Scale
- Coffee Grinder
- Stainless Steel Container
- Strainer (that fits the stainless steel container)
- Purified Water
- Paper filter
*This recipe has been scaled to prepare 2 liter/66 ounces of Cold Brew (~ 11 drinks).
- Coarsely grind 342 grams of Bohio Ritual Coffee bag.
- Put the strainer on top of the container.
- Place the paper filter on top of the strainer. (We use Chemex paper filters because of the size.)
- Put the coffee grounds in the paper filter.
- Add 2 liter/66 ounces of clean room temperature water to the stainless steel container.
- Using your spoon, stir to ensure that all coffee grounds are submerged in water.
- Place lid on the stainless steel container and let sit at room temperature for 15 hours, stirring occasionally if possible.
- Remove the paper filter and strainer from the stainless steel container.
- Store in refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
For drinks, we recommend using 1 part Cold Brew Concentrate and 1 part of desired milk type. If you like it black, we recommend brewing our dilute recipe.
Check our other recipes to get inspired and be creative at home.
Note: To make it easier we used a strainer that fits the pan perfectly and a Chemex paper filter; therefore, when the cold brew is ready, all we need to do is lift the strainer. If you do not have these things, you can put the coffee grounds straight into water and then filter using a nut bag or clean towel.
We would love to know how your cold brew based drinks are going! Please tag us @bohiocafe or email us at email@example.com!