What is Cold Brew?
Cold Brew is a method of extracting the properties and flavors of the coffee bean without the use of hot water. Whereas, iced coffee, is typically hot coffee that is poured over ice or hot coffee that is then chilled to be served over ice. The difference is obvious in the flavors of the two extractions. Reason being- there are certain properties lost within the cup when changing the temperature of the coffee at such a rapid speed. Also, hot coffee is extracted anywhere between 30 seconds and 5 minutes; cold brew is extracted over a course of hours. Due to the time the bean is in contact with water, the water has a longer amount of time to absorb the flavors and transfer the properties.
We are fans of Cold Brew!
& from what we have gathered, our customers are also fans of Cold Brew, which is why we have started packaging our Cold Brew Blend and are sharing our Ready to drink Cold Brew Recipe!
You Will Need:
- Bohío Cold Brew Blend
- Food Scale
- Coffee Grinder
- Stainless Steel Container
- Strainer (that fits the stainless steel container)
- Purified Water
- Paper filter
*This recipe has been scaled to prepare 2 liter/66 ounces of Cold Brew (~ 8 cups).
- Coarsely grind 170 grams of Bohio Cold Brew Blend Coffee.
- Put the strainer on top of the container.
- Place the paper filter on top of the strainer. (We use Chemex paper filters because of the size.)
- Put the coffee grounds in the paper filter.
- Add 2 liter/66 ounces of clean room temperature water to the stainless steel container.
- Using your spoon, stir to ensure that all coffee grounds are submerged in water.
- Place lid on the stainless steel container and let sit at room temperature for 15 hours, stirring occasionally if possible.
- Remove the paper filter and strainer from the stainless steel container.
- Store in refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
Enjoy black with a couple of ice cubes.
Note: To make it easier we used a strainer that fits the pan perfectly and a Chemex paper filter; therefore, when the cold brew is ready, all we need to do is lift the strainer. If you do not have these things, you can put the coffee grounds straight into water and then filter using a nut bag or clean towel.
We would love to know how your cold brew process is going! Please tag us @bohiocafe or email us at email@example.com!